PARTIAL FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN SHERIDAN COUNTY
WHEREAS, the danger from forest and range fires on lands within Sheridan County has become critical; and
WHEREAS, the County’s rural fire protection districts believe that for the protection of life and property, restrictions should be instituted; and
WHEREAS, the Board of County Commissioners has unanimously recognized the necessity for fire prevention measures in Sheridan County; and
WHEREAS, pursuant to Wyoming Statute 35-9-301, Boards of County Commissioners are duly authorized to close any or all state, county and private lands that lie outside incorporated areas, within their respective county, to open fires or other uses which constitute a serious threat to forest or range fire.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Board of County Commissioners, having set County fire restrictions in effect Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 12:01 a.m. do hereby declare that fires and open flames shall be allowed in improved areas only within the following parameters:
1. The area of said fire prevention measures shall include all state, county and private lands within Sheridan.
2. County except lands located within incorporated areas; municipal governments having the authority to declare fire restrictions lo No campfires are allowed on State land. Private and public lands lying within the Bighorn
National Forest boundary shall adhere to County fire restrictions when the Bighorn National Forest implements fire restrictions and when it lifts such restrictions.
- Charcoal fires are permitted when contained within enclosed
- Trash or refuse fires are permitted, between the hours of 6:00 m. and 8:00 a.m., in a container provided with a spark arrester (a heavy gauged metal screen with no larger than 1 / 4 inch openings in the screen, and located in the center of a cleared area, twenty (20) feet in radius.
- Campfires are permitted outside of the Bighorn National Forest boundary within established, commercial campgrounds or lodging facilities, and then only if they are centered with a twelve (12) foot cleared radius, free of any burnable vegetation or The fire ring or pit is to be constructed of non-flammable materials covered by metal plate and/or a heavy gauged metal screen with no larger than 1/4 inch openings in the screen. Campground and/or lodge owners are responsible for any escapes and damages.
- Use of acetylene cutting torches or electric welders are permitted in cleared areas, twenty (20) feet in
- Propane or open-fire branding activities are permitted in cleared areas, twenty (20) feet in
- No open fires or open flame shall be permitted in unimproved
- Discharge of all fireworks is strictly prohibited, unless a Permit for Supervised Public Display of Fireworks is granted by the Board of County
- The term “fireworks” shall not be construed as being synonymous with “fireworks” under W.S. 35-10-201. As used herein, “fireworks” means any pyrotechnic or explosive device regardless of the quantity of explosive contained
- There is no restriction on
Page 1 of 2
- There are no restrictions on cabin chimneys or It is, however, advisable to install spark arresters or screens.
- Use of exploding targets such as Tannerite or similar copies that use binary compounds of ammonium nitrate/ aluminum powder mixture are prohibited.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that, pursuant to W.S. 35-9-304, any person violating this Resolution on state, county and private lands that fall under the jurisdiction of Sheridan County shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not to exceed one-hundred dollars ($100) or imprisonment in the County jail not to exceed thirty (30) days, or both such fine and imprisonment. Fire districts may request restitution for the cost of extinguishing any fire that is not considered accidental where a conviction is obtained in a court of competent jurisdiction.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that this Resolution, supersedes all previous resolutions in conflict, and shall remain in full effect until such time as it may be amended or rescinded by Board action.
APPROVED AND ADOPTED this 18 day of July, 2017.